When pulled over by a police officer there are a few things you should ensure you do for your own safety as well as others.
- In a timely manner you should find a safe place to stop, you should turn off the car, turn on an internal light(if needed) and place your hand on the wheel.
- Upon request be sure you show the officer your drivers licence, registration, and proof of insurance.
Basic rights apply here but I will reiterate them.
- You have the right to refuse a search of your car.
- Drivers as well as passengers have the right to remain silent .
- You may ask if you can leave, and even if the officer refuses you may still stay silent.